The Surface Pro 3’s Type Cover hits the mark for most uses but the lack of native multimedia keys (Next Track, Previous Track) is a sore point that needed addressing. Read on.
Since we can’t bind key combinations in Windows 8 we’ll use the excellent/free AutoHotkey to bind our multimedia key combinations (e.g. CTRL+RIGHT fires the Next Track action).
- Download and install AutoHotkey from their home page
- Open AutoHotkey
- On the first start it will prompt you to generate a first sample AutoHotkey script
- Copy and paste the following script into the sample script
^Right:: ;the ^ means CTRL
- Save the AutoHotkey script file
- Close and re-open AutoHotkey to enable the new multimedia key combinations